LOCband Plagiocephaly Clinic
Catherine offers LOCband treatment for babies with Positional Plagiocaphaly at the Osborne Clinic, Jesmond (assessment only) and The Performance Clinic, Lowfell (assessment and treatment). She is fully trained in the orthotic management of Plagiocephaly and the LOCband and, before moving back to Newcastle in 2015, used to work alongside the founders (and clinicians) of the LOCband at The London Orthotic Consultancy for almost 10 years specialising in this treatment. The LOCband is manufactured by the London Orthotic Consultancy (LOC). It is manufactured to strict standards and guidelines. It is the only commercially available Cranial Orthosis to be manufactured in the UK and therefore has less of an environmental impact than imported Orthoses. LOC is registered with the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) as bespoke manufacturer of the LOCband.
What is Plagiocephaly?
Why would LOCband treatment be recommended?
LOCband treatment could be recommended for the following reasons:
- Severe head shape that is too severe to get correction through re-positioning alone
- Child too old for re-positioning (typically older than 7 months of age)
- Not enough improvement in head shape after re-positioning trial (4 weeks)
Indications of LOCband treatment
The LOCband relies on cranial growth to work and therefore the LOCband can only improve head shape if cranial growth is occurring i.e.the baby's head is growing. We get an idea of the cranial growth from taking regular circumference measurements and palpation of the fontanelles (cranial soft spots).
Typically a child's fontanelles fuse around 18-24 months meaning there is potentially a 2 year window of opportunity to treat plagiocephaly with the LOCband.
Before commencing LOCband treatment we would need to ensure the following:
- Fontanelles are open - indication child's head is still growing
- Child is ideally ideally 18 months old or less - N.B the younger the child the better and quicker the results
- Child does not present with Craniosynostosis - this is a condition where the fontanelles prematurely fuse limiting cranial growth and causing significant deformity. This is assessed for in clinic and if there are any concerns appropriate referrals can be made.
It is important to note that the younger the age of the child going into treatment, the better and quicker the change in head shape. This is because a baby's cranial growth rate is quickest up to 7-8 months of age then slowly starts to slow down and eventually plateau at 18-24 months of age. The ideal age for treatment using is up to 7-8 months of age.
Plagiocephaly - 6 months in LOCband
Brachycephaly - 4 months in LOCband
Copyright statement:The LOCband images and information relating to Positional Plagiocephaly and its treatment have been reproduced with the kind permission of the London Orthotic Consultancy who owns the copyright.
Assessment (60 minutes) £50
This price includes:
- Full detailed history of pregnancy, birth, delivery and post birth
- Cranial measurements
- Discussion of severity and treatment options
- Neck assessment for tightness if applicable
- Demonstration of neck stretching and strengthening exercises if applicable
- Re-positioning advice and techniques depending on age of child
- Full explanation of LOCband treatment
Should parents decide to go ahead with LOCband treatment after the initial assessment then there is no assessment charge, just the cost of the LOCband treatment.
Re-positioning Reviews (30-40 minutes) £40
This price includes:
- Repeat cranial measurements
- Re-positioning review and technique check if applicable
- Recommendations on intervention depending on re-positioning success
Should parents decide to go ahead with LOCband treatment after the re-positioning review then there is no assessment charge, just the cost of the LOCband treatment.
LOCband treatment (average of 3-6 months in treatment depending on age and severity of head shape) £1,950
This price includes:
- Assessment and cranial measurements
- Before and after scan and photo reports
- Cleaning solutions for the LOCband
- Regular follow-up appointments every 2-4 weeks (for duration of treatment)
- Full out of hour telephone support if needed
- All correspondence and reports to GP and medical professionals reporting on baby's progress
1. Full payment of £1950 at the initial scan appointment
2. Half payment of £975 at the initial scan appointment then remainder of cost at the fit appointment (2 weeks later)
Payment can be made by cash, cheque or online payment. Unfortunately at the moment payment can not be made by card.
*Please note that 24 hours notice is required to cancel appointments otherwise a £25 charge will apply. This is to cover time and room rental costs*
Bookings and queries:
To book an initial assessment please contact the Osborne Clinic directly on 0191 281 3379 or The Performance Clinic on 0191 435 0560 (see clinics) Should you have any queries at all regarding LOCband treatment please feel free to contact Catherine direct via mobile or email (see contact Catherine)